NACHOS….. The ultimate dude food! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE for the love of God do NOT let the title of this recipe put a smirk or a rolled up lip on your face that makes you not want to TRY these NACHOS!!! I will not lie to you. Omar was a little apprehensive about these, too. You have my permission to call, text, facebook or email him and ask him his opinion on these. ALL I’m going to say is this: Do you see that pan of Nachos up there? It was completely empty when supper was over!We devoured that whole pan of nachos with a couple of beers watching the #Bama game last Saturday night! WHO doesn’t love NACHOS?? And WHO doesn’t LOVE HEALTHY nachos?!?! YES. These are SO MUCH healthier than adding a ton of cream/whole milk and cheese to make a cheesy sauce. After eating these, I wasn’t bloated and my stomach didn’t kill me from a ton of unnecessary dairy. And I’m willing to bet that if you don’t tell anyone they’re VEGAN, your people will NEVER know and they will gobble them right up! 🙂
I’m a firm believer that if I can’t find something at Costco or buy it off Amazon, I most likely do not need it (unless it’s makeup, shoes or clothes!)… I found organic, vegan and gluten free tortilla chips at Costco that are PERFECTION!!! I eat them with everything. They’re called “Sea Salt by the Sea Shore Multigrain Tortilla Chips”. Find them. Buy them. You’re going to LOVE them! (This is NOT an ad! I just love finding great food that’s good for you!) Obviously, I used those chips to build my nachos. Add whatever you love… if you want some meat, throw it on there! You’ll see below in the ingredients list everything that I added. I hope you’ll love these as much as we did! Make them for your next football party…they’re sure to please! Please let me know if you try them! <3
Vegan Queso Nachos
Don't tell anyone these are vegan...NACHOS! 🙂
Ingredients for the Queso:
- 1.5 – 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 – 3 tbsp minced onion
- 1 minced jalapeno, seeded if you don’t want it to be too spicy
- 3.5 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cup plain almond milk
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp chipotle pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- tortilla chips (I found a bag at Costco that are organic, vegan and gluten free! AND they taste so good!!!)
- leftover rice
- leftover black beans
- salsa, homemade or store-bought
- diced jalapenos
- sliced avocado
- chopped cilantro
*You can use this Queso Sauce for anything! Quesadillas, Tacos, Fajitas, etc…*
- Heat up a large saute pan on medium heat. Once it’s hot, add the oil, onion, garlic and jalapeno. Cook for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Stir in the flour. I let my flour cook into the veggies for about 2 minutes. Then add the almond milk. Keep stirring or whisking until the sauce forms and there are no lumps. Now, add all of the spices and the nutritional yeast.
- TASTE the sauce! Season accordingly. Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer until you’re ready to eat.
- Build your nachos however you please!