If you’re looking for a new and easy way to sneak some veggies into your kiddo’s diet, I’ve got just the recipe for you! This recipe is so easy to make and it turned out so good. I’m pretty sure your kids will never know there’s not real cheese in this! I’ll be completely and totally honest here. Since I’ve been consuming more of a plant based diet lately, one of my biggest heartaches is giving up CHEESE. I love cheese. Not all cheese, but most of them. For me, there’s nothing better than some homemade, European, crusty bread with an assortment of cheeses and wine. It’s my all time favorite. Lately, I’ve been trying to let go of my cheese eating habits. All that to say, that is why THIS recipe was created!
I’ve been a little nervous to make a VEGAN Mac n’ Cheese. I’m not a huge fan of nutritional yeast. It’s definitely one of those foods you either love or hate it. But… when using it in this recipe it does give it the perfect amount of cheesy flavor without it being too over powering. The cheese sauce is made with potatoes and carrots… a sneaky little way to get some veggies in your diet when you think you’re really eating comfort food! It’s a healthier way of eating one of my favorite comfort foods and I’m hoping you’re going to love it as much as I do! If you want to make it gluten free, simply use gluten free pasta! <3
Vegan Mac n' Cheese
Velvety, creamy, and totally delicious... You'll never know it's VEGAN Mac n' Cheese!
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 lb pasta (shells or macaroni)
- 1 cup diced potato, peeled
- 1/2 cup diced carrot, peeled
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4 vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 – 3 tbsp nutritional yeast (I suggest only 2 tbsp if you’re not a big fan of this! If you love it, add as much as you want!)
- 2 1/2 tbsp tapioca
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp minced white or yellow onion
- 2 tbsp vegan butter or olive oil
- Soak the cashews in super hot water for 15 minutes (or longer if you have time). If you have a high powered blender/food processor, 15 minutes should be plenty of time.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions or until al dente. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, filled with water, on medium-high heat – cook the potatoes and carrots until softened. Drain and set aside for a few minutes.
- Add the softened cashews, cooked potatoes and carrots, almond milk, vegetable broth, salt, pepper, paprika, nutritional yeast and tapioca to your blender or food processor and blend until completely smooth, about one minute. Let this sit for a minute.
- In a large saute pan on medium-high heat, add the olive oil or vegan butter. Once it’s hot add the garlic and onion and saute until translucent. Now, add the sauce (in the blender). Let this cook for a couple of minutes, stirring frequently. Taste the sauce at this point and adjust your seasonings if needed.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and stir well. Reduce the heat to low or simmer until you’re ready to serve.
- If you have leftovers, store in the refrigerator for 3 – 4 days. Reheat on the stove on medium heat. Add a little vegetable broth to make it creamy again.