NACHOS….. The ultimate dude food! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE for the love of God do NOT let the title of this recipe put a smirk or a rolled up lip on your face that makes you not want to TRY these NACHOS!!! I will not lie to you. Omar was a little apprehensive about these, too. You have my permission to call, text, facebook or email him and ask him his opinion on these. ALL I’m going to say is this: Do you see that pan of Nachos up there? It was completely empty when supper was over! Continue reading “Vegan Queso Nachos”
Omar LOVES Thousand Island dressing. Like never wants any other kind of dressing kind of love. When I went to the grocery store this week, they were out of his favorite kind….. SO, instead of disappointing him and drizzling a little olive oil and lemon juice on top of his salad, I decided to MAKE him his favorite dressing. #husbandpleaser 😉 Continue reading “Homemade Thousand Island Dressing”
I really hope you’re not allergic to peanut butter because this sauce is nothing short of life changing. When I first tasted it, all I wanted to do was eat it with a spoon. I didn’t. But… I really really wanted to. It’s SO delicious. Drizzle this sauce on anything you want your kids to eat, I promise they’ll eat it! Continue reading “Thai Peanut Sauce”
Omar and I LOVE a Saturday or Sunday brunch at the Jewish deli…And we LOVE the potato latkes. On our cheat days, we will devour potato latkes, apple sauce, and just a wee bit of sour cream. OMG. SO GOOD. Whomever came up with this idea was a genius. I’m just saying.
I’ve never even thought to make apple sauce UNTIL I got on this “let’s make ALL condiments from scratch” kick. To be perfectly honest, I was trying to make a more Paleo friendly sweet potato latkes with apple sauce a few weeks ago. The apple sauce turned out AMAZING. The sweet potato latkes still need a little work. They tasted really good, but I wasn’t completely happy with the outcome yet, so I’m not posting that recipe until my perfectionist personality feels happier about those. 🙂
Here’s the Apple Sauce recipe:
- 4 medium size apples (I used honey crisp…they’re my fav!), peeled, cored, and diced
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar, honey, or maple syrup
- 1 heaping tsp cinnamon
- Throw everything in a medium size sauce pan. Cook on medium-high heat until the apples are soft.
- Pour the apple mixture into a food processor and pulse until pureed.
- Make your own potato latkes…OR…refrigerate until you need a healthy snack!
I LOVE CONDIMENTS. I think I’m slightly addicted to dipping EVERYTHING I eat into some kind of a sauce. Because I love condiments SO MUCH, I’ve decided to start making my own instead of buying them. This sauce is so good on absolutely ANYTHING!!! I’ve used in on chicken wings, baked chicken, and I’ve dipped sweet potato fries in it…DELICIOUS!!! If you don’t like too much spice, just omit the cayenne pepper…or maybe don’t add the full teaspoon.
Honest confession: I didn’t measure this BBQ sauce out to see exactly how much it makes. Forgive me! I would say it yields about 2 cups…??? If you’re making it for a big crowd, double it. If you’re just making it for 2-4 people, it’ll be plenty! We ate on this for a week straight…
Spicy BBQ Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced (can substitute 1 tsp garlic powder)
- 3 tbsp onion, minced (can substitute 1 tsp onion powder)
- 1 – 6oz can organic tomato paste
- 1.5 cups chicken/beef OR vegetable broth/stock
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chipotle chili pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cayenne, optional
- 1 tsp Dijon
- In a small sauce pan, melt the oil on medium heat. Add the garlic and onion. Saute until translucent.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan and whisk together. Bring this to a small bubble for about 5 minutes. It should thicken pretty fast.
- Simmer on low until ready for use…OR…let it completely cool and store it in a glass jar. Refrigerate until you’re ready to eat it.