I thought I would start my very first blog off by telling you a tiny, itty-bitty bit about myself. Throughout the history of my blog, I hope to share bits and pieces of my life experiences, passions, and my love for all things food!
- My name is Whitney! I was born and raised in the deep south. I love southern hospitality, southern accents, and the somewhat laid back way of life.
- Omar is the love of my life – the man I will one day marry and get old and gray with. I’m sure you’ll hear more about him in due time.
- I have 2 best friends: my mom and Chasity. They’re both a little bit on the crazy side, but I can honestly say I couldn’t live without either one of them. You’ll definitely hear more about them as well.
- I have a love/hate relationship with running. I hate the process of running, but love how good I feel after a run.
- I tend to be a perfectionist.
- Patience is not my virtue, but I’m working on it.
- I LOVE to laugh. I know that sounds totally cheesy, but seriously I can’t tell you how many times I’ve laughed so hysterically hard that somehow every care, worry, or whatever bad day was going on just seemed to disappear in the midst of a damn good laugh! A laugh that normally turns into a cry.
- I wish I could live out of a suitcase and travel the world, taste different foods, and learn about different cultures with my love for an extended period of time…all while doing something good and beneficial for others.
- There are very little gray areas in my life. Meaning: I’m either 100% for it OR I’m 100% against it.
- I love to love and be loved.
Now on to the food! This recipe is the only “homemade” thing I’ve made this week… It turned out well, so I’m sharing it!
Italian Lemon Chicken
You’re going to need:
1 1/2 lbs of chicken thighs, bone-in, skin-off (If you prefer skin-on, by all means leave the skin on!)
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp lemon zest (1 tsp for rub, 2 tsp for the sauce)
1 1/2 tsp dried Oregano
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp olive oil (1 tbsp for the rub, 2 tbsp for cooking)
1/4 cup lemon juice (1 lemon)
1 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
2 garlic cloves, smashed
1 tbsp butter, softened
1 tbsp flour
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash chicken and pat dry.
Make rub for chicken
Combine mustard, 1 tsp lemon zest, Oregano, Italian seasoning, salt, and 1 tbsp olive oil in a small bowl. Mix well. Coat the top of the chicken with half of the rub. (After I coat the first side, I put it in the pan rub side down so I can use the rest of the rub for the other side. Make sense?! I hope so.)
In another bowl, combine lemon juice, stock, and lemon zest. Set aside.
Flavor the oil with garlic
Heat remaining olive oil in a large cast iron skillet or an oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and let it saute until it’s browned, but NOT burned! Remove and discard garlic, but leave the oil.
Cook the chicken
Add chicken to what would have been skin-side down (or if you’re using chicken with the skin on it, skin-side down) into the hot infused oil. Cook 2-3 or until it has browned.
Flip the chicken and add lemon juice mixture. Put the pan in the oven and back 25-30 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken reads 165 degrees.
Italian Lemon Sauce
Remove pan from oven, place chicken on a plate to rest, cover with foil. There should still be liquid in the pan. Place the pan over medium heat and bring the liquid to a slight simmer.
In a small bowl, mix the softened butter and flour together and whisk it into the sauce. The sauce will thicken and look glossy. Put chicken back in the pan. Serve with your favorite vegetable and consume!