Everybody needs a mama like mine!
As I look back on my life, I can’t help but thank God for the mother He gave me. Through the ups, the downs, the good times, and definitely the bad times I can honestly say my mama has always been there for me. She is one of the few people I know that exudes unconditional love. She’s one of the funniest people I know, as well as one of the best story-tellers. She’s probably the only person that can look at me and make me smile just by holding up a peace sign. (That’s an inside joke that no one else will understand except us.) We can and will say the EXACT SAME THING at any given moment…totally unrehearsed. It’s a gift. We have the same laugh…and smile 🙂 People often mistake us for sisters. I used to hate that, but the older I get the more I understand what an amazing compliment it is for her! I’m keeping my fingers crossed in hopes to look as good as she does when I’m her age. She’s just as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside. Not only is she my mama, she’s the one person on this earth that truly knows me inside and out. She’s my best friend. I love you, mama-cita!
With all that said…here’s one of mama’s recipes! It’s not 100% Paleo, but if you have a little Paleo mayo on hand, you could totally make it Paleo!
Mama’s Chicken Salad
What you will need:
- 1 Rotisserie Chicken, shredded, skin and bones removed (We buy the already cooked ones at our local grocery store. If you prefer to roast it yourself, by all means, roast away!)
- 1 large onion, small diced
- 2-3 stalks of celery, small diced
- 1 cup of grapes, halved (If they’re really big grapes, I would quarter them.)
- 1 red bell pepper, small diced
- 1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Craisins
- 1 cup of mayonnaise (I like to use a homemade Paleo mayo… Mom would not! She’s all about the Hellman’s full fat, full flavor!)
- 1/2 cup mango jam (THIS is what makes it taste AMAZING!!)
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne (You decide how hot you want it to be.)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the first 7 ingredients in a bowl together and mix well. Set aside for a few minutes.
- In another bowl, mix all of the ingredients for the dressing together.
- Pour the dressing on top of the chicken and veggies and mix until it’s well incorporated together. If you have time, refrigerate it for a couple of hours. If you don’t have time, it’s no big deal.
- You can serve this on a bed of fresh greens or serve it with some organic blue corn tortilla chips. It’s freakin delicious. Your tongue will love you!