One year down, forever to go!
On March 16, 2013 I had my very first date with the love of my life. Little did I know at the time that he would end up being my one true love. I was on cloud 9! I will say unashamed that we met on Match.com… Don’t laugh. It’s what you do when you’re 30, still single, never been married, no kids, and still praying for one little ounce of hope in the marriage world. Don’t forget I’m from Alabama. In case you don’t know, it’s sacrilegious to be this old and not married in this state. Most girls either get married right out of high school OR they go to college for their “MRS” degree. I had been on Match for a few months, having a few okay dates, and a few I never want to see you again dates. I’m not going to lie, it was exhausting. Putting yourself out there in hopes of really finding that one man you’ve been praying for since you were 15 was not an easy task for this introvert. It was coming close to the end of my subscription and I had decided I was done looking for Mr. Right. I was tired of lame dates. No chemistry. It never failed, if they were super in to me, I was so not in to them. UNTIL… I got an email from a man with the user name: DolphinFanatic. We went back and forth via email for a couple days until he finally asked me for my number. I’ll never forget the first time he called me. He has the hottest voice EVER! It’s one of those deep, manly, but very kind sounding voices that makes you wanna curl up next to him because you know that just the sound of his voice will protect you… and did I mention it sounds so hot?! Ahhh! I’m pretty sure my heart raced every time we spoke on the phone for the first couple weeks. So… super long story short… He’s in school working on his second degree and wasn’t able to meet up with me until about 2 weeks after his first initial email. We spent hours on the phone. HOURS! This may sound totally cliche, but talking to him was so effortless. We laughed about anything and everything. It honestly felt like we had known each other for years. It could not have been more perfect! We finally decided on a day to meet and naturally, I was a nervous wreck! He was the first man I’ve met and gone out on a date with that offered to come pick me up AT MY HOUSE. (He scored major points when he did that.) I was under the impression that act of chivalry was dead. Nope! Not with my sweet love! Our first date seriously could not have been more perfect. We went to a park downtown and had a sushi and vodka-tonic picnic and then we went to the Wine Loft for dinner. It was by far THE BEST DATE EVER!!!
So… with all that said, this blog is in honor of my gorgeous Omar! He’s not just my best friend, but he’s my one true love. The man I waited a long ass time for. The man I’ve prayed for. The man that makes me want to be a better woman. The man I want to travel the world with. The man I will one day marry and grow old and wrinkly with. I love you with all my heart, Sweetheart. You were so worth the wait! Below are just a few pictures of the things we did throughout this first year of being together…I’m the luckiest girl in the whole wide world!
We went to the Saints VS Dolphins game in NOLA! My first Dolphins game!!
A friend’s wedding in NYC… I LOVE NYC!!!
Now on to the food! I’m a firm believer in that a way to a man’s heart is through his stomach… This is one of Omar’s favorite meals. He loves it so much, we have it at least once a week, sometimes twice!
Steak & Veggies Dinner for Two
- 2 – 8oz steaks (This particular night I used sirloin steaks, but we also love filets and NY Strip steaks too)
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, medium diced
- 8 0z container mushrooms, sliced
- 2-3 cups of Kale, washed, dried, and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp Olive oil and butter (for the meat and veggies)
- Yum-Yum Sauce: (This sauce is amazing on anything!)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 -2 Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
This meal seriously takes about 20 minutes to fix from start to finish.
1. Make the Yum-Yum sauce. Set to the side for a bit.
2. Saute onion and garlic together in one tbsp of olive oil and one tbsp of butter until translucent. Then add the mushrooms and red bell peppers. Let them cook until just soft. Salt and pepper as you go.
3. While the onions, garlic, bell pepper, and mushrooms are getting yummy, I get my steaks out and season them with salt and pepper or your favorite rub. Get out your cast iron skillet and get it screaming hot. Add one tbsp of olive oil and one tbsp of butter to the skillet, but don’t let it burn!
4. Start cooking your steaks to the temperature of your liking. We love medium rare, so while one side of the steaks cook, I finish my veggies.
5. Add tomatoes and kale and cook until the kale has wilted just enough. Add the Yum-Yum sauce to the veggies and let them marry together while your steaks cook!
One last picture from when we went to the Miami Heat Finals Game 2! Bon Appetit!!!