After a 3 day sabbatical of not cooking one thing (other than some scrambled eggs), I’m back with a vengeance! We had a celebratory weekend of eating and drinking anything and everything BAD for you in honor of the fact that my sweetheart PASSED HIS BOARD EXAM!!!!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!! It was an answered prayer and a huge weight lifted off of my love. We’re still smiling and I’m still crying tears of joy every time we talk about it. So… because we had pizza, Chinese food, chocolate cupcakes, and a couple too many vodka tonics at the pool over the weekend, it’s time we get back on the Paleo bandwagon and get ready for vacation next month!
I will tell you, this was the very first time I’ve ever made Chicken Cacciatore. I’m a firm believer in that… you just can’t go wrong when it comes to chicken thighs, red wine, and veggies baked in the oven for a while! Yummmm!!!
I hope you enjoy it as much as we did 🙂
Yields: 4-6 Servings
8-10 organic chicken thighs, skinless/bone-in
2 tbsp olive oil plus 2 tbsp butter
1 onion, thinly sliced
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
2 bell peppers, seeded and diced
3/4 cup red wine
1 cup Kalamata olives, pitted
1 – 28 oz can organic diced tomatoes
2-3 tbsp fresh herbs (Thyme, Basil, Oregano)
1 heaping tbsp honey
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a Dutch oven or cast iron skillet (oven safe skillet), brown the chicken on what would be skin-side down in the melted olive oil and butter on medium-high heat. Once the chicken has browned, place it on a plate, and set aside.
3. In the remaining oil/butter, saute onion and garlic until translucent; about 4 or 5 minutes.
Then add bell pepper.
Continue cooking a couple more minutes, then add the mushrooms.
Continue cooking the veggies for 3-4 more minutes; add the wine and deglaze the pan. Let the wine boil in the veggies for 2-3 minutes so that it reduces some. Then add tomatoes, olives, herbs, honey, salt and pepper. Let this cook a couple more minutes. TASTE it before you add the chicken back in. Adjust seasonings accordingly.
3. Add the chicken back into the skillet. Place the skillet in the oven and bake uncovered for 40 minutes or until a thermometer reads an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
The finished master piece!!!
4. Serve this with your favorite veggie and eat it up!