Omar’s birthday was yesterday…so naturally I made him a Miami Dolphins birthday cake! He’s been a Dolphins fan since he was about 6 years old, I think… He’s not your typical, “Oh, I cheer for the Dolphins because I’m from Miami” fan. He’s your die-hard, lives, eats, and breathes MIAMI DOLPHINS. He can tell you anything and everything about the team…past or present. And to say that he loves Don Shula or Dan Marino would be a HUGE understatement! With all that said, this blog is in honor of my love and the birthday cake I made for him! I’m so thankful he was born! My life has forever been changed by his love and constant support.
We started his birthday off with a Dolphins pre-season game in Atlanta!
Here’s my Vanilla Cake and Butter Cream Icing recipe:
Yields: 3 – 9 inch pans
For the cake: (If you can make the cake part a day a head, it’s best!)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 vanilla beans
- 3 1/2 cups cake flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs, room temp
- 1/2 cup sour cream, full fat
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups whole percent milk
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Slit the vanilla beans down the middle and scrape out the seeds with a spoon into a bowl. Add the sugar to this, stir well, and set aside.
3. In a medium size mixing bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients (sugar/vanilla bean mixture, cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt). (I used my kitchen aid mixer mixing bowl…everything is going to be thrown into this bowl by the end.)
4. Add the butter to your flour mixture. Using a hand-held or standing mixer, on low speed, gently mix this together. You’ll have a crumbly texture.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, sour cream, vegetable oil, and vanilla until smooth. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined. Slowly add the milk and beat until everything is incorporated. Your batter will be liquid.
6. Spray your pans down with some non-stick spray OR butter them really well so that the cakes come out easily once they’ve baked and cooled. Evenly divide your batter among the three pans. Bake for 23-25 minutes. I always to the tooth pick test to make sure my cakes are done in the middle.
7. Once the cakes are done, allow them to cool completely in the pans. I refrigerated my cakes over night and decorated the cake the next day. This part is totally up to you. Just make sure your cakes are completely COOLED before icing!
Baked to perfection! I love that golden color 🙂
Butter Cream Icing Recipe:
- 1 lb butter, softened
- 1 – 8 oz package cream cheese, full fat, softened
- 7-8 cups powdered sugar (I used about 7 1/2)
- 1/4 cup milk
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
1. Using a standing or hand-held mixer, cream together the butter and cream cheese.
2. Add the powdered sugar a little bit at a time alternating with a table spoon or two of milk at the same time.
3. Add salt and vanilla. Be sure to mix it well and scrape down the sides of the bowl frequently. Decorate the cake and make it look beautiful!
And a few weekend pics celebrating my sweetheart…