My creative juices were not flowing today at all. Nope. Nada. Nothing. But with that said, this dish ended up being a lot better than expected! Today was one of those I really need to eat Paleo tonight because if I continue using the “It’s my birthday” excuse I’m going to be as big as a house. It’s amazing how eating non-Paleo foods a couple days in a row weighs you down SO much. I thought I was never going to make it through my run today. This girl will have no more cheat days for a while!
So, go make yourself a healthy meal! You’ll feel so much better!
8 chicken thighs, skinless
3-4 tbsp fat
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 package baby bella mushrooms, sliced
1 cup white wine
1.5 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp honey
pinch of cayenne
3-4 tbsp fresh herbs (I used: sage, rosemary, thyme, and oregano), finely chopped
slurry: 2 tbsp cornstarch plus 2 tbsp water mixed together
salt and pepper to taste
1. Wash and pat dry the chicken. Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.
2. In a cast iron skillet (or whatever skillet you want to use), melt the fat on medium-high heat. Once your pan is super hot, add the chicken to the pan, what would be skin-side down, and brown for 5-6 minutes on both sides. Set the chicken on a plate (it will NOT be cooked all the way through at this point)!
3. Using the same skillet, saute the garlic and onion until translucent.
4. Add the wine. Bring to boil on medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes and let it reduce by half.
5. Add the chicken stock, Dijon mustard, honey, herbs, cayenne, salt and pepper. Whisk together well. Let this continue to cook on a low boil (medium heat).
6. Add the slurry to thicken the sauce and continue whisking until sauce thickens. Once the sauce has thickened, simmer the sauce on medium-low heat.
7. Add the coconut milk. If the sauce gets too thick, add a little more chicken stock. TASTE THE SAUCE at this point!!! Season accordingly.
8. Add the mushrooms to the sauce and the lay the chicken thighs on top of the mushrooms. Make sure the chicken is almost covered with the sauce.
9. Cook the chicken in the sauce on medium heat for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
10. Serve with your favorite veggies! I served mine with fresh green beans and a salad with strawberries, almonds, and craisins. It was delicious!