This recipe turned out being so much better than I thought it would be! It doesn’t get much easier than throwing some veggies and chicken in a pan and roasting for a while. Easy to fix + easy clean-up = the perfect dinner!
- 1 – 1.5 lb butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 3 granny smith apples, medium diced
- 1 large onion, medium diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
- 1-2 tsp fresh thyme, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 whole chicken legs, bone-in and skin-on
- 2-3 tbsp fat (I used equal parts of butter and olive oil)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Wash and pat dry the chicken. Set the chicken on a plate and season it with salt and pepper. Set to the side for a few minutes.
- Throw all the veggies and seasonings in a roasting pan. Don’t forget to season the veggies with a little salt and pepper!
- This part is where you have two options. You can either: 1) Put the chicken on top of the veggies, throw the pan in the oven, and bake for 40-50 minutes OR until your chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. OR you can: 2) Pull out a cast iron skillet, add some fat to the pan on medium-high heat, let it get hot, add the chicken skin-side-down and let the skin crisp up…THEN…put the chicken on top of the veggies (skin-side-up) and roast for 30-40 minutes (or until the chicken is done).
- I did option #2! The chicken was delicious. Super moist on the inside and crispy on the outside. Perfection!
- Because I love sauces on top of anything, I made a sauce to go on top of my chicken. This part is totally optional too. Here’s what I did to make my sauce:
- I saved about 2 tbsp of the drippings from when I pan-seared the skin of my chicken. On medium-high heat, add 2 tbsp of tapioca flour and whisk together really well.
- Add 1 cup of chicken stock, 1/2 cup of coconut milk, 1 tbsp honey, and season with salt, pepper, and throw a bunch of sprigs of thyme in there. Bring to a bubble for about 5 minutes, then simmer it until you’re ready to serve. Drizzle on top of the chicken and consume!