In case you didn’t hear me scream YEEEEEEESSSSSSS from the top of my lungs on Saturday, I AM OFFICIALLY ENGAGED TO THE LOVE OF MY LIFE!!! I couldn’t be happier!!! I can’t stop smiling!!! And as vain as it may sound, I CANNOT stop looking at my ring!!! AHHHHHH!!! If you only knew how long I’ve waited for this moment, you would understand the excitement. I’m pretty sure my family thought I was never going to get married. Once you’re past the age of 25 and still ‘single’, there’s very little hope for you if you live in the south. Thankfully, God heard my cries and my prayers and He gave me the man of my dreams!!! And yes…I can NOW say, “He was totally worth the wait!”
Omar called on Friday to tell me that a co-worker gave him a really good deal on a helicopter ride for Saturday afternoon. I was SO excited! I thought it was a little odd because we’ve never discussed taking a ride in a helicopter, but I was game! That’s a bucket list kind of event, you know?! I will be honest, in the back of my mind, I was thinking, WHAT is he up to?! I knew he had the ring, but had no idea when or where he was going to propose. Trying not to get my hopes up too terribly much, all I could do was pray and hope that this was going to be my day! We got in the helicopter and started flying over the city when the pilot came on through our headphones and said, “I’m going to sign off for a few minutes. Let me know if you need anything.” I didn’t think much of it until out of the corner of my eye, I could see Omar trying to get something out of his pocket. As soon as I saw that little black box, I burst into tears! Happy, thankful, I can’t believe it’s FINALLY happening tears!!! He had rehearsed his lines several times (according to him 🙂 )… He said the sweetest, most romantic things ever. Those words I won’t repeat! Obviously, my answer was YES! The pilot came back on the microphone and congratulated us as we continued flying over the city and ocean. As nervous as I was being up in that helicopter, it was seriously one of the most memorable and romantic things he’s ever done for me! Forty-five minutes later we landed safely (thank you, God!) and the pilot took the sweetest pictures of us. To say that I was beaming is an understatement!
I never in my wildest dreams thought God would give me such a gift. Omar is everything I’ve prayed for and more. My most sweet love, THANK YOU for giving me the most beautiful proposal! I can’t wait to spend forever with you!!!
Here are a few pictures from our proposal…in the air!
Now… For a quick and delicious romantic steak dinner for 2!
- 2 – 8oz steaks of your choice (filet, strip, t-bone)
- equal parts of butter and olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup organic cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 whole almonds
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- salt to taste
- couple dashes of cayenne, optional
- Make the Romesco Sauce first. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. On a baking sheet lined with parchment, add the almonds and bake for 5-6 minutes or until golden, but not burned! Once golden, remove the almonds from the pan.
- Add bell pepper, onion, and garlic to the same pan. Bake for another 5-6 minutes then add the tomatoes. Bake for another 5 minutes or until the tomatoes burst in their skins.
- Add the almonds, bell pepper, onion, garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, paprika, salt and cayenne to a food processor and puree until smooth. Pour the Romesco Sauce into a sauce pan and keep it warm while you make the steak. Don’t let it bubble. Stir it occasionally.
- Cook your steak however you want! Grill it, smoke it, OR if you live in a condo and can’t have a smoker on the patio (like me), pull out your cast iron skillet. Get that bad boy SCREAMING HOT. (Medium-high heat) Add the equal parts of olive oil and butter (DON’T LET THIS BURN). Season your steaks however you want. I like salt and pepper…call it a day!
- My steaks were about an inch thick, so I cooked mine for 2 minutes per side. Pull it off the heat and on to a plate. Cover the plate with foil and let the beef rest for a few minutes. Serve this with whatever you want, folks! And try not to forget a bottle of wine like I did… ENJOY!!!