Have you ever had the Peppermint Mocha from Starbucks? I love it. It’s one of my favorite Starbucks drinks. I used to drink those coffees like crazy every year when Christmas rolled around….UNTIL….I started reading up on all of the nutritional information… Those things are FULL of sugary carbs and LOADS of calories. Not exactly what this bride-to-be needs in her life right now. Let’s be honest…even if I wasn’t a bride-to-be, I still wouldn’t need that in my life!
So, I was asked to come up with a recipe for an organic, nonGMO coconut water. I hope you love coconut water as much as I do?! OMG!!! I LOVE COCONUT WATER. I didn’t know this until recently, but coconut water has some wonderful health benefits for our bodies. Here are just a few:
- It can help you lose fat! Drink as much as you can without worrying about ingesting a lot of fattening agents, such as milk.
- It can aid in digestion. It has more hydrating properties than the average tap water so drinking it can certainly help your digestion well.
- It can help revitalize your cells and boost your metabolism. It contains less sodium and more potassium than the average energy or sports drink that’s why it is a highly recommendable substitute for these expensive and artificial products.
Because it’s 80 degrees here and I’m having the HARDEST time ever getting in the Christmas spirit… I decided I would make a drink that reminds me of Christmas and I’m pretending it’s chilly outside…not super cold, just chilly!
Here’s my version of a Peppermint Mocha… AKA: Double Dark Peppermint Hot Chocolate. Say that 3 times fast! 🙂
Yields: 4 Servings
- 1/2 cup Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
- 2-3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 cups coconut milk (full fat in the can)
- 2 cups Cocozia coconut water
- 3/4 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 – 1 tsp peppermint extract
- pinch of salt
- For garnish: Christmasy sprinkles, marshmallows (I found some nonGMO/gluten free ones at Whole Foods…and YES, they taste so good!), and toasted shredded coconut, optional
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave.
- In a medium size sauce pan add all of the ingredients (don’t add the garnish ingredients) and let it simmer on medium heat until it gets hot and you’re ready for a nice cup!
- I used a little bit of honey around the rim of my glass to make the sprinkles and coconut stick. Use whatever you would like!
- I thought about this later… If you need a little caffeine boost when making this, add a little coffee to your cup, then top it with the hot chocolate mixture, and garnish as desired! Adding coffee will make this a little less sweet. Note: This is super sweet and chocolatey! Every chocoholic will love it!
This is the coconut water I used… It’s delicious in a hot chocolate or by itself served over some ice!