Omar and I LOVE a Saturday or Sunday brunch at the Jewish deli…And we LOVE the potato latkes. On our cheat days, we will devour potato latkes, apple sauce, and just a wee bit of sour cream. OMG. SO GOOD. Whomever came up with this idea was a genius. I’m just saying.
I’ve never even thought to make apple sauce UNTIL I got on this “let’s make ALL condiments from scratch” kick. To be perfectly honest, I was trying to make a more Paleo friendly sweet potato latkes with apple sauce a few weeks ago. The apple sauce turned out AMAZING. The sweet potato latkes still need a little work. They tasted really good, but I wasn’t completely happy with the outcome yet, so I’m not posting that recipe until my perfectionist personality feels happier about those. 🙂
Here’s the Apple Sauce recipe:
- 4 medium size apples (I used honey crisp…they’re my fav!), peeled, cored, and diced
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar, honey, or maple syrup
- 1 heaping tsp cinnamon
- Throw everything in a medium size sauce pan. Cook on medium-high heat until the apples are soft.
- Pour the apple mixture into a food processor and pulse until pureed.
- Make your own potato latkes…OR…refrigerate until you need a healthy snack!