My head hurts…really really really bad. Over the last two months, I’ve cut way back on my coffee intake… Totally unlike me, but under certain circumstances I made the choice to at least try it out. I think I’ve done myself an injustice though because over the last week I’ve had 3 or 4 coffees until today… I decided the body needed a break from the caffeine, but it back fired on me and I’ve laid on the couch most of the evening with an excruciating pounding caffeine headache. Tomorrow, I’m having a cup of coffee.
With all this said…I was also craving CARBS today. I’m in one of those moods I get in every now and then where I’m completely sick of everything that I’m eating. I’m a creature of habit. I eat the same things ALL THE TIME. I blame this on my hubs. So, I decided to think outside the box and make something seafoody… I’m by no means perfect when it comes to eating a Paleo diet 100% of the time… I tend to be more of an 85% of the time kinda Paleo gal. It works for me, so it’s what I do! Below is tonight’s Gluten Free Shrimp Scampi dish….and let me just tell you, it was delish!!! Once everything is chopped up, this meal takes no time to cook!
Yields: 3-4 servings
- 1 lb shrimp (raw, peeled, and deveined)
- 3-4 tbsp fat (I use equal parts of butter and olive oil)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2-3 tbsp garlic, minced (yes, it’s a lot of garlic! Tastes so good!!)
- 1 pint organic cherry tomatoes, halved
- zest of one lemon
- juice of half lemon
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs (I used basil, oregano, and thyme), finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated, optional
- couple pinches of crushed red pepper, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 big handfuls of baby spinach
- 2 ladles of pasta water
- 1 – 12oz package of Gluten-free brown rice pasta (or whatever kind of pasta you like)
- In a medium size saute pan, on medium heat, add some fat to the pan. Once it’s hot, add the onion and garlic. Let the onions caramelize, be sure to not let the garlic burn. Stir occasionally. Once the onions are done, put them in a bowl and set to the side for later use.
- Get your water on to boil for the pasta.
- In a large saute pan on medium-high heat, add some fat to the pan. Throw your shrimps in the pan. When you flip the shrimp over to cook the other side, add the tomatoes, caramelized onions, chicken stock, fresh herbs, zest, juice of lemon, crushed red pepper, salt, and pepper. Stir everything together really well. Let this simmer while your noodles cook.
- Drain your noodles, but don’t forget to save a couple ladles of the water.
- Get out a large bowl. Add the spinach to the bowl, then add the noodles on top. This will wilt the spinach, but not make it mushy. Add the shrimp on top of the noodles and two ladles of the pasta water. Using tongs, mix everything together really well. Add the Parmesan cheese to the top of each dish.
- Serve it with a nice salad and enjoy!!!