Yes, it’s 85 degrees in South Florida and yes, I made chili in 85 degree weather. I know…I know…I know… Chili is more of a fall/winter, football type food…not 85 degree weather food. Whatever. It’s what I was craving. So, I made it, ate it, and it was amazing! I’m learning that sometimes in life you just have to go with what you want…not with what everyone else wants…not with what’s more sensible according to the weather or according to anything for that matter…go with what makes you happy! My healthier version of Chili Cheese Fries on a Friday night with my sweetheart is what made me happy tonight! Yes, he’s been working since he walked back in the door… We didn’t get to go out as planned, but I’ve been sitting next to the most gorgeous man on the planet, eating my heart out, chit-chatting with him, rubbing his feet….and THAT is what makes for a happy evening! Don’t you just love love?! Gosh…I do! It’s the best feeling in the world! Now, go make you some chili….even if it’s 85 degrees where you live!
Yields: 3-4 servings
- 1 lb ground meat (beef, turkey, lamb, or chicken…whatever you prefer!)
- 2 tbsp fat
- 1 small onion, small diced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, small diced (optional)
- 2 – 14 oz cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 – 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin (I know, that’s a lot. I LOVE CUMIN. Measure according to your taste!)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground chipotle pepper
- 1 tbsp honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- sweet potato fries, fresh of frozen (I was lazy and popped a bag in the oven!)
- organic spinach, optional garnish
- cheddar cheese, shredded, optional garnish
- sliced jalapeno, optional
- In a large saute pan or Dutch oven add some fat to the pan on medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add the ground meat and continue cooking until the meat is thoroughly cooked through.
- Add the tomatoes and paste. Stir until well combined. Next, add chili powder, cumin, paprika, chipotle pepper, honey, salt, and pepper. Stir seasonings together well. You may need to add a little bit of water if it looks too thick.
- While your chili simmers (the longer it sits, the better it tastes), bake the sweet potato fries.
- This part is totally optional, but I love to eat chili on a bed of spinach, topped with shredded cheese and jalapenos. I do realize cheese isn’t exactly “Paleo”, but it’s Friday and I felt like some cheese on my chili! Everything in moderation, people! Feel free to garnish with whatever you like!