Every cooking show I’ve been watching this week has been making the most incredible looking BBQ, potato salads, and PIES!!! Just looking at these foods makes my mouth water!!! Growing up in the South, you’re either raised with the most delicious BBQ restaurants around…OR…somebody in your family knows how to throw down on a grill or smoker and make some of the BEST BBQ you’ve ever put in your mouth. My experience comes from my mom and grandfather who know how to cook some meat on a grill. Let me just tell you…since living in South Florida, I have missed my mama’s smoked meat! I’m pretty sure my hubby has too. 🙂 So, I made some BBQ chicken and potato salad this week to hopefully “fix” my craving. I’ll be completely honest…since I don’t have a grill or smoker, my BBQ chicken did not turn out as I had hoped, BUT my potato salad might have been one of the best potato salads I’ve ever made! And YES!!! It’s completely Paleo/Gluten Free which makes me even more happy!!!
If you take this Fourth of July Potato Salad to your next BBQ or family gathering, I promise it’ll be a huge hit!!! 🙂
- 2 lbs organic white sweet potatoes or regular potatoes (whatever you prefer), medium diced
- 2 hard boiled eggs, diced
- 3 stalks of organic celery, small diced
- 1 red bell pepper, small diced
- 1/4 cup purple onion, small diced
- 1/2 cup Paleo Mayonnaise (homemade or store bought)**
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup organic sweet pickle relish (make sure it’s all natural and doesn’t have any high fructose corn syrup)
- 1 heaping tbsp organic yellow mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- sprinkle of cayenne pepper, optional
- 3-4 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped up for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Add the potatoes and cook until fork tender, about 15 minutes. Once cooked, drain the potatoes and let them cool for a few minutes.
- While your potatoes are cooking, get the veggies and dressing ready.
- In a small bowl mix together the mayonnaise, relish, mustard, salt, pepper and cayenne. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add the potatoes, celery, bell pepper, hard boiled eggs, and onion.
- Pour the mayonnaise dressing on top of the potatoes and mix until well incorporated. Refrigerate for at least an hour, or over night. The longer it sits, the better it tastes! Serve your potato salad in a pretty bowl and garnish with some chopped up bacon. Your friends and family will LOVE it and I’m pretty sure you will too!!!
**Feel free to make your own Paleo mayonnaise OR if you buy store bought, look for a mayonnaise that’s nonGMO, cholesterol free, gluten free, soy free, and no artificial ingredients! I found some at Whole Foods and it actually tastes amazing! I buy it all the time now!**