My sweetheart has been fighting a nasty summer cold for the last couple weeks… So, last week I decided to make him some homemade soup! He’s not a big soup eater, but we both loved this recipe, so I decided it was worth a share on the ole’ blog! I used a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store to make this a lot quicker and easier to make. You can make this early in the day and let it simmer until you’re ready for dinner that night. It’ll be delicious!
Yields: 4-6 servings
- 1 whole organic rotisserie chicken, shredded, skin removed and de-boned
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cups carrots, sliced or diced
- 1 cup celery, sliced or diced
- 32oz organic chicken stock
- 4 cups water (or use more stock)
- Poultry blend of fresh herbs: 2 tbsp rosemary, 2 tbsp sage, and 2 tbsp thyme (For the herbs: take the herbs off the stems and chop all of the herbs up very fine OR tie them up together with some twine so you can pull the stems out easily after the herbs have flavored the soup.)
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 lb pasta of choice (I used a gluten free pasta. If you want to keep this recipe strict Paleo, you can use spaghetti squash, or if you don’t care either way, use your favorite pasta or rice!)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large Dutch oven (my Le Creuset was perfect to make this soup in) on medium-high heat add the fat to the pan. Let it get hot and add the onion and garlic. I let my onions caramelize, this step is optional. Then add the carrots and celery. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken, stock, water, herbs, zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Stir until well combined. Let this simmer for 30 minutes, or as long as you want. I let it simmer for a couple of hours.
- Cook your pasta, rice, or spaghetti squash about 20-30 minutes before you’re ready to eat. This was the very last thing I added. I don’t like mushy pasta! You can keep the pasta/rice separate or add it and stir it into the rest of the soup. TASTE THE SOUP! Adjust the seasoning according to your taste. EAT IT UP!!!