Happy, sad, glad, or mad?!?! This is a fudgy, super chocolatey, melt in your mouth, makes everything better kind of cake! I would not put this recipe in the “healthy” category… Although, it is flour-less…it does have a good chunk of butter, lots of sugar, and eggs. I’ll be honest, it makes me feel better to at least call it “Gluten Free”. So, let’s do that! It’s a GLUTEN FREE PMS Flour-less Chocolate Cake!!! I did use a healthier chocolate… Feel free to use your favorite. Dark or milk chocolate will totally work.
Please note: your cake WILL crack on top! Don’t fret…it’s supposed to! I love the rustic, not very perfect look! Kind of reminds me of life at times… How something is perceived on the outside isn’t always the case of what the inside of something/someone looks, feels, or even tastes like. I think this cake is a good example of not judging a book by it’s cover! 🙂
The decor for this cake is endless… The sky is the limit! Use your favorite fruit, make a home-made whipped cream (which I totally should’ve done!), or drizzle a little ganache on top!
Yields: 1 – 9 inch spring form cake
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 10 oz package Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
- 6 eggs, room temperature, divided
- 1 tbsp almond extract
- 1/4 cup organic unsweetened cocoa
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 inch spring form pan; set aside.
- In a small saucepan melt the butter and chocolate chips. Set aside and let cool.
- Separate 4 of the 6 eggs. In the bowl with the yolks, add the almond extract, cocoa, salt, remaining eggs, half the sugar, and the melted butter and chocolate chips. Whisk everything together really well and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, on medium-high speed, with your whisk attachment beat the egg whites until frothy. Once frothy, gradually beat in the rest of the sugar. Continue beating until stiff peaks have formed.
- Using a spatula, fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Fold until well incorporated and you can’t see anymore white.
- Pour the batter into the prepared spring form pan and bake until the top is slightly cracked and the middle doesn’t jiggle; about 50-55 minutes.
- Transfer the cake to a cooling wrack. DO NOT CUT THE CAKE UNTIL IT IS COMPLETELY COOLED!! If you need it to cool it faster, stick it in the refrigerator for a while… Dust the cake with a little cocoa powder and decorate it with some fresh berries! It will look BEAUTIFUL and taste AMAZING!!!