Since I got my spiralizer for Christmas I’ve become quite the Zoodle’er! (I’m not sure that’s a real word, but I’m going to say it anyway!) I was home visiting my family with baby girl for a bit last month and my mom and I made zoodles a whole LOT! I’m really sad that I’m just now finding out about this spiralizer thing… You can literally turn any kind of vegetable into a NOODLE! I’m amazed and absolutely LOVE knowing that this little contraption can keep me entertained with ideas of new healthy recipes. Please be aware – there will be a lot of Zoodle recipes coming your way! I really hope you’ll love them as much as we do.
The beautiful thing about zoodles is that you can flavor them however you like best! So far, I’ve made Thai Zoodles, Greek Zoodles (I haven’t posted this recipe yet), and now Garlic and Herb Zoodles! These are a perfect side dish for just about anything. I grilled some chicken, lightly seasoned and put it on top of my zoodles with a side of broccoli. It was a perfect, quick, and super easy week night meal. If you don’t have a spiralizer, GO GET ONE!! You can find a decent one for $20-$30. I promise, you’ll love it!!!
Yields: 3-4 servings
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp organic butter
- LOTS of GARLIC! I used a good 2 tbsp. Use however much or little you prefer!
- 1 large organic zucchini, spiralized
- 1 large organic yellow squash, spiralized
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1-2 organic carrots, sliced thin (matchsticks)
- 1 cup organic cherry tomatoes
- 2 big handfuls of organic spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chiffonade
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, rough chop
- 1 palm full of herbs de provence
- salt and pepper to taste
- Before you get started make sure all of your vegetables are sliced, diced, and ready to go! Once the onions have caramelized this side dish doesn’t take long to cook at all. I don’t like mushy veggies, so I made sure my protein was just about ready before starting it.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat up the olive oil and butter on medium-high heat. Add the onion and caramelize for 10-15 minutes. After about 10 minutes, I added the garlic. Let the garlic cook until it’s translucent. Your kitchen will smell AMAZING!!!
- Next – add the carrots and let them cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the squash and zucchini and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes.
- Now – add all the herbs, tomatoes, and spinach. I used tongs to make sure all the veggies were mixed well.
- Season with salt and pepper and TASTE it! Adjust the seasoning to your liking and serve it up! It’s the perfect accompaniment to any piece of chicken, fish, or steak! If you have leftovers, check out my Zoodle Frittata recipe!