This is the EASIEST steak salad you’ll ever make. Promise! I made this for dinner last week and thought it should be blogged for future reference because it’s probably going to become one of those recipes that gets repeated often. You can make this in less than 30 minutes too.
Yields: 2 Servings
- 2 – 6 oz bavette steaks
- 1/4 cup fat plus 2-3 tbsp for the steaks
- Yukon Gold potatoes, small dice (mine were kind of big, so I used 3. You want enough for 2 people)
- 1/2 onion, small dice
- 1 tbsp Herb de Provence
- 2-3 cups of arugula
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- salt and pepper
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil to dress the arugula in
First thing I did:
- Heat up 1/4 cup of fat (I like to use equal parts of organic butter and olive oil) on medium heat in a medium size skillet or cast iron.
- While your fat is warming up, chop up your potatoes – small diced. Add the potatoes to the pan. DO NOT touch the potatoes for at least 5-6 minutes. You want them to have a nice golden color. Touching and stirring too much ruins this.
- When your potatoes are about halfway done cooking, add the onion and herb de provence. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to med-low and let the potatoes and onions hangout while you get the steaks ready.
- Get your cast iron pan hot for the steaks. (OR use a grill/smoker outside!) I cooked mine on medium-high heat. Add some fat to the pan. Season your steaks with S&P. When your pan is super hot add the steaks. You want a really good sear! For medium-rare I cooked mine on each side for about 5-6 minutes. If you want your steak more done, cook it longer! This is a good time for a meat thermometer 🙂
- While your meat and potatoes finish cooking, dress the arugula in a little bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Divide the arugula up into 2 dishes. I served everything in one bowl like it was one big salad! Serve it up however you want. I added some cherry tomatoes for color, a nice portion of potatoes, and the steak on top! 🙂 Voila!!! Dinner is served in less than 30 minutes!!!