Faux Fried Rice is my new favorite invention for my homemade Chinese food cravings. It makes me feel just a bit healthier when I use quinoa. And the sesame oil gives it that perfect Chinese restaurant fake out that makes you think, “This doesn’t taste homemade!”
It’s super easy to make…and let me tell ya, I don’t think my husband new that it was quinoa! 🙂 Shhhhhh!!! If you’re not into quinoa, feel free to use rice. Watch how easy this is to make!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 carrots, finely diced
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp (or less) of minced garlic
- 2 – 3 cups leftover quinoa
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saute pan on medium-high heat, heat up the olive oil. Once it’s hot, add the carrots, onion, and garlic and cook until soft. (About 7 – 8 minutes give or take.)
- Add the quinoa and frozen peas and stir into the veggies really well. Let this cook for a couple of minutes until the peas thaw out.
- Make a little well in the middle of the pan and add the sesame oil. Let it get hot and sizzling – THEN – stir the oil into everything. Season to taste. BOOM!!! You’ve got Faux Fried Rice!!!
**If you do this with rice, cook your rice a couple of hours ahead of time and allow it to completely cool on a sheet pan. THEN proceed.**
Serve this with your favorite homemade Chinese dinner! It’s healthy, full of flavor, and you don’t have to worry about preservatives, MSG, and other nasty garbage you really don’t want to be eating. 🙂