Loaded Lemon-Blueberry Vegan Muffins…. Say that 3 times fast! It’s a mouthful to say, yes. But let me just tell ya, these muffins are AMAZING. So amazing that my husband ate THREE of them in one sitting. He came in from work, saw muffins on the counter and divulged in the lemony-blueberry, crispy on the top, soft on the inside, melt in your mouth muffin. I won’t lie. I had two myself. I haven’t tested these out with gluten free AP flour yet… but don’t you worry. I will be soon!!! Now that I’m thinking about it – these little babies would be a perfect addition to making your mom, wife, significant other, etc…(anyone that’s carried AND birthed a child!) a special breakfast (in bed) for Mother’s Day… IT’S MAY 14th!!! (You’re welcome.) One last thing… I do realize I use the Biscayne Bay as my background in my pictures quite often. It’s beautiful. Sometimes I just can’t help myself. Buuuuuuuttttt… I most likely will not have this background to use for very much longer, so I’m going to use it while I can. 😉 One day soon I should be able to YELL from the rooftops where we’re moving to, but until then…. GO MAKE THESE MUFFINS!!!!
Yields: 16 – 18 muffins (depending on how full you fill your muffin tin. I filled mine 3/4 of the way full.
For the Jam:
- 2 cups frozen organic blueberries
- 2 tbsp organic cane sugar
For the Lemon Topping
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest (my lemons were small, so I used two)
- 1/3 cup organic cane sugar
For the Muffins:
- 2 1/2 cups organic AP flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder (aluminum free)
- 1 tsp Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp organic canola oil (or you can use coconut oil)
- 2 flax eggs = combine 2 tbsp Golden Flax-seed Meal with 6 tbsp water; let it sit for a few minutes
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- juice of one lemon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup organic blueberries
- 1/2 cup organic frozen blueberries
- Start with the jam – in a small sauce pan add the frozen blueberries and sugar. Bring it to a boil on medium heat. Use a potato masher to mash the berries. Stir frequently. Let it reduce by about half. Set aside to completely cool.
- In a small bowl – add the lemon zest and sugar. Mix well and set aside.
- In a small bowl – add the flax-seed meal and water. Mix it together and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line the muffin tin with non-stick muffin liners or spray them really good with non-stick spray.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt to a small bowl and whisk together. In a large bowl – add the sugar, oil, flax-seed mixture, and vanilla. Slowly whisk in the coconut milk. Whisk until all of the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet – it’s easier to use a spatula to stir this together. Fold in the berries. The batter will be lumpy; don’t over mix.
- Divide the batter equally among the prepared muffin cups. Spoon a teaspoon of the jam into the center of each muffin. Use a toothpick or skewer to swirl the jam into the batter. Sprinkle the lemon sugar on top of each muffin evenly.
- Bake until firm and golden – about 25-30 minutes. Rotate the muffin pan from front to back halfway through the baking time. Allow the muffins to cool for 5 minutes in the muffin tin before placing them on a wire rack. Betch’ya can’t eat just one!!!
*This recipe was adapted from the Crazy Vegan Kitchen*