I don’t know why, but this is the very first time I’ve ever made rice with coconut milk. And let me just say… it’s a genius idea! I saw a recipe that had a bunch of other stuff in it, but I decided to keep it simple with just 4 ingredients. I’m pretty sure I’ve said it before… I’m not a big rice lover at all. It’s so bland to me. And if I’m going to eat a carb, I want it to be super flavorful. Right?! The rice cooked in coconut milk takes it to a whole new level… and then combined with the flavors of tiki masala was a perfect combination!If you’re in a meat eating mood, by all means, add some meat to yours! My husband isn’t on my no meat bandwagon yet, so I made him a little ground turkey seasoned with curry, garam masala, and a few other things. Once you have your veggies chopped and ready to go, get the rice going next. This meal comes together pretty quick. By the time your Chick Pea Tiki Masala is ready, your rice should be ready too. I served this with a side salad and a little Naan.
Chickpea Tiki Masala & Coconut Rice
Quick + Easy + Delicious is a PERFECT Dinner!
Ingredients for the Coconut Rice:
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine, basmati, OR long-grain white rice (Lots of options! I used Basmati… but only because I didn’t have enough Jasmine. It turned out really good!)
- 1 – 14oz can organic full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp kosher salt
Ingredients for the Chickpea Tiki Masala:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp smoked or regular paprika
- pinch of cayenne, optional
- 1 tbsp organic cane sugar, optional (I’m from the South… we put just a touch of sugar in everything 😉 )
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 – 15oz can organic diced tomatoes
- 1 cup organic vegetable stock or broth
- 1 – 15oz can organic garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 3/4 cup organic full-fat can of coconut milk (be sure to whisk it before measuring it out)
- salt and pepper to taste
- garnish with cilantro, Greek yogurt, or Naan – optional
Directions for the Coconut Rice:
- In a medium sauce pan, combine the rice, coconut milk, water, and salt. Give it a little stir. Bring to a boil for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid, and cook until all of the liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat and let the rice sit for 10-15 minutes.
Directions for the Chickpea Tiki Masala:
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, add the oil and let it get hot. Next, add the onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook until translucent. Your kitchen will smell AMAZING!
- Add the spices, tomato paste, diced tomatoes and broth. Stir together and bring to a boil for about 10 minutes. Be sure to stir often so it doesn’t stick or burn on the bottom of your pan.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, add the chickpeas, coconut milk, and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with the Coconut Rice, Naan, and a side salad! BOOM!!!