I promise there IS a sweet potato underneath all of that black bean goodness! Traditionally, I stuff a sweet potato with some type of ground meat… but last night I decided to change it up a bit and use black beans instead. Hello, Meatless Monday!
This meal is so easy to make… I ate it with a side salad and a glass of wine and was completely satisfied and happy! I added a big handful of raw spinach to each potato because I feel every meal needs some green in it. This is totally optional. Do as you please! The heat of the potato on the bottom and the warm beans on top help the spinach to wilt just enough to not be soggy. Who wants to eat soggy spinach that’s cooked for way too long?! Not me! Raw veggies are a great way to get more nutrients in your diet too… So, the moral of the story is this: if you need a little meatless dinner – make this!!!
Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Healthy, Vegan Stuffed Sweet Potatoes!
- 4 organic sweet potatoes
- 1 – 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 – 15oz can organic black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- cilantro, chopped for garnish – optional
- drizzle of lime juice
- a big handful of spinach for each potato – optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Drizzle the potatoes in a little bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper – then wrap each one in foil. Place the potatoes on a sheet pan and bake 45 min to an hour…or until soft (depending on how big your potatoes are).
- In a large saute pan over medium heat add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot add the onion and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes or until translucent. Next, add the carrots and cook for another 5 – 7 minutes. (You want the carrots soft, but not mushy.)
- Now, add the bell pepper, black beans, cumin, chili powder, paprika, and oregano. Stir until well combined. Season with salt and pepper and reduce the heat to low. Let the beans warm up while the potatoes finish baking.
- Once the potatoes are done, carefully open them up, put them on a plate, and run a knife down the middle to open them up. Take a big handful of spinach and add to each potato, then a big spoonful of the black beans.
- Drizzle with a little fresh lime juice and cilantro and EAT! Serve with a side salad and don’t forget your glass of wine! 😉