HOW IN THE WORLD IS IT ALREADY THE END OF JUNE?!!!!!!?
I’m in shock at how FAST this year is flying by. When I was a kid it seemed like the days/years dragged by…. Now that I’m an adult, the years are F-L-Y-I-N-G by. My baby is almost TWO YEARS OLD. How can that be? I’ve lived in MIAMI for almost THREE YEARS. HOW in the world can that be? I’m pretty sure I have some family members that lost that bet. Our goal was one year. BIG news coming SOON… We won’t be here too much longer (hopefully)! #adiosmiami
Okay, enough about how fast time is flying by… let’s eat cake! Cake makes everything BETTER!!! So, this is a small cake – as in it’s 2 – 7 inch cake pans – small. If you want a normal size 9 inch cake just double the recipe. My reasoning for making a smaller cake was a few reasons: 1.) We’re about to go on a little vacay and we really don’t need to eat a whole BIG cake like that period. 2.) I really wasn’t sure how this was going to turn out and didn’t want to waste organic ingredients on a “YIKES – that sucks”. And 3.) Smaller can be so much cuter, don’t ya think?! 🙂 I added a LOT of vanilla to this cake… I just like it that way. If you don’t, then only add a couple of teaspoons. I think almond extract would taste amazing too….which could be another option if you don’t want the traditional vanilla cake. AND I used Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 gluten free baking flour for this recipe. This was a fun cake to make for the Fourth! Decorate it in pretty berries to make it festive! Berries make it look a little healthier too! 😉
Vegan Vanilla Cake
Nothing says Fourth of July like a red, white, and blue Vegan Vanilla Cake!
For the Cake:
- 1 3/4 cup AP Flour (OR Gluten Free AP Flour – I use Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 baking flour)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil or canola oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
For the Icing:
- 3 1/2 – 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 – 4 tbsp vegan butter (I like Earth Balance)
- 3 – 4 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour your cake pans; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently stir until there are no lumps.
- Split the batter into the 2 cake pans and bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until golden. Do the toothpick test to make sure the middle is cooked through. Let the cakes cool completely before icing.
- Use a standing mixer or handheld mixer and beat the vegan butter and powdered sugar together. Slowly add the milk, vanilla, and pinch of salt. If your icing is too runny, add more powdered sugar. If it’s too thick, add more milk. You want the consistency to be easy to spread.
- Decorate however you please!