I made this little faux-tuna-salad sandwich for lunch this week and could NOT get enough of it. It’s going to be on repeat for a LONG time! My hubs came in hungry, I offered some to him… he turned his nose up. Literally. Nose in the air with a smirk. Tasted it. Then proceeded to eat THE ENTIRE BOWL.
My mama makes a super delicious tuna salad, so I took her ingredients (minus the tuna) and added chickpeas. VOILA! Vegan, gluten free, super healthy, and so delicious. I’m on the way to buy more carrots so I can make some more of this!!! If you’re not a big fan of mayo, feel free to add less. I thought 3 tbsp was the perfect amount to not be too overwhelming, but still hold everything together. This salad is perfect with some tortilla chips too if you don’t want to make a sandwich out of it.
Open Faced Faux Tuna Salad
A perfect vegan lunch that's made in less than 15 minutes!
- 1 – 15oz can organic garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup finely diced purple onion
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 3 tbsp mayo (vegan if you choose)
- 2 tbsp sweet relish
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 – 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- vegan and/or gluten free friendly bread, optional
- handful of organic spinach, optional
- Pour the garbanzo beans into a medium size mixing bowl. Use a potato masher and gently mash the beans. I left a few whole beans for texture.
- Next, add the carrot, celery, purple onion, mayo, relish, lemon juice, parsley, salt, and pepper. Mix thoroughly. Taste! Season according to your taste.
- I toasted my bread – this is optional. While it was warm I added the spinach to wilt it just a tad. Then topped the spinach with my bean mixture. Get out a knife and fork! This is my favorite lunch!