I have no idea what to call this bowl of yummy goodness…So, we’ll just call it ‘My Big Vegan Bowl of Beans and Farro’! This was my first time to make farro, and let me just tell ya, it will not be my last! I cooked my farro in vegetable broth and loved the flavor it gave.
I was home (Alabama home) for FIVE WHOLE DAYS before I cooked anything of substance. I love to cook, don’t get me wrong… but every now and then when I have the opportunity to not have to even think about cooking anything – I take it and I REST! Thank God for mamas that cook…and cook GOOD for that matter 😀 With that said…this was the first thing I made coming off of my 5 day cooking sabbatical. And since my husband is not here, there’s no meat. My apologies. For me, this was so filling. I really didn’t even miss the meat. Now, go get your eat on and make this!! You’ll love it!! (I hope.)
My Big Vegan Bowl of Beans and Farro
A great big bowl of protein minus the meat!!!
- 1 cup cooked farro
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 diced purple onion
- 1 diced bell pepper
- 1 – 15 oz can organic black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 – 15 oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 – 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 to 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- Juice of 1 lime
- Arugula or spinach, optional
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook farro according to directions.
- Whisk all of the dressing ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Set aside for a few minutes.
- Sauté onion and bell pepper in olive oil on medium-high heat until translucent.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the beans, sautéed veggies, tomatoes, green onions, and parsley.
- Pour the dressing on top. Stir well. The longer it sits, the better it tastes. You can serve this warm or room temp.
- If you have leftovers, refrigerate. I recommend heating up leftovers in a sauté pan on medium-low heat until warmed through.