S-T-R-E-S-S….. A six letter word that makes me do several things. 1.) Emotionally eat. 2.) Over exercise (because I emotionally eat). 3.) WORRY WORRY WORRY. *BIG sigh* When I’m stressed I have absolutely no desire to be creative in any aspect of life, especially cooking…I over analyze everything to the point of making myself nuts. I finally reached my break of insanity yesterday mainly because I’m sick and tired of eating the same things over and over and over. So, I made myself get in the kitchen yesterday and I’ve created a new salad recipe that is super healthy, full flavorful (because who wants to eat something with NO flavor?), and it actually keeps you full for a long time! I recently read an article about my blood type. Weird, I know… For some reason it interests me. I stopped eating meat over a month ago and I honestly have never felt better. In this article I read, it said that my body doesn’t digest meat well (which I totally agree with). My blood type digests vegetables, fruits, and grains the best. So, that’s what I’ve been eating. Since then I’ve dropped 5 lbs, I feel healthier, and oddly enough I have more energy. I’ve never been so stressed and yet still have energy. With the stress has come some good! For that I’m thankful!
Ok, enough about me and my issues… let’s eat something yummy and healthy! 🙂 I have become a chickpea eating fool lately. I LOVE THEM!!! I’m constantly looking for new ways to eat them. This salad turned out perfectly… I hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I did!
Moroccan Chickpea and Quinoa Salad
A super healthy and delicious salad that can be used as an entree or side.
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (1 cup uncooked quinoa)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 – 15oz can organic chickpeas (or garbanzo beans)
- 1/3 cup golden raisins or dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (I used a variety. Use whatever nuts you love most.)
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- juice and zest of 1 lemon (2 – 3 tbsp of juice)
- 1 – 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- pepper to taste
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions. Once it’s cooked pour it on to a sheet pan so it cools quickly.
- Add all of the salad ingredients to a big bowl. Toss ingredients together.
- In a small bowl, whisk all of the dressing ingredients together. Pour on top of the salad ingredients and give it another good stir.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate and serve later. This is perfect for a side dish or a main entree if you want to serve meat or fish with it.