I have become a lover of all foods served in a bowl. Rice Bowls…Buddha Bowls…etc. WHY? I really haven’t a clue? I just love it. It makes me happy. So, it’s what I’m doing for the moment. Under normal circumstances, I’m not a huge lover of rice. As of late though, I’ve found a new like for it… so I’ve been making it a lot more recently. For me, it’s pretty versatile. It goes well with a lot of different foods, you can flavor it however you want and it’s a good carb that helps keep you full longer! AND… you can throw it in a pot, put a lid on it and forget about it while you cook the rest of your meal. Super easy!
Now, this veggie recipe made more than I was expecting. Not to worry! I’m going to have a leftover frittata recipe later on that you can make if you have a bunch of leftovers like I did. I HATE wasting food. Seriously, hate it. Sadly, we aren’t very big “leftover” kinda people… So, I’ve been trying to come up with different ways to re-use veggies we don’t eat after I’ve cooked them. Veggies are expensive! Especially if you buy organic. Ok, enough about that… Here’s my SUPER EASY, SUPER DELICIOUS Mediterranean Rice Bowl!!!
Mediterranean Rice Bowl
Mediterranean inspired roasted veggies your whole family will love!
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 chopped purple onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 chopped zucchini
- 1 chopped yellow squash
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- garnish with fresh parsley, feta, tomatoes, or spinach
- Serve with rice
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the first 6 ingredients to a big mixing bowl. Stir well and season with the dried basil, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Roast the veggies for 20 – 25 minutes, or until golden and soft.
- While the veggies roast, cook your rice and prepare whatever else you want to serve. (I made Balsamic Maple Green Beans.)
- After the veggies have roasted, add the olives, lemon juice and parsley. Mix well.
- Prepare your bowls however you desire! EAT!!!