We escaped Irma!!! This past week has not been one of my favorites at all. Since living in South Florida, it was quite possibly my most stressful week to date. After two days of trying to decide what to do in regards to this hurricane, I packed us up in a matter of minutes, threw as much stuff into the car that would fit and we left…..On Wednesday it took us 7 hours to drive from Miami to Port St Lucie…which under normal circumstances should only take an hour and a half. THEN… on Thursday we drove from Port St Lucie to some hick town in South Georgia that took us from 7am to 11pm. Thankfully finding gas had not been as much of an issue as we had expected. Finding a hotel to crash in for the night was a bigger problem. We ended up finding a hotel that was without a doubt the NASTIEST hotel I’ve ever stayed in before…this place was SO gross. It wreaked of curry. We refused to shower. I refused to take my shoes off. It was so disgusting we were afraid to pull down the comforter and actually sleep in the sheets. I’m not really sure that sleeping on top of the comforter was the “cleaner” way to go, but it’s what we did. All three of us cuddled up close together so our body heat would keep each other warm. We woke up super early the next morning (without an alarm clock) and got out of there as fast as we could.
Friday morning we could FINALLY see the light at the end of the tunnel! Four hours later we were HOME SWEET HOME in Birmingham! I’ve never been so relieved before in my life. And can I tell you just how good that shower felt?! OMG!!! With the bad did come some good that I wasn’t expecting. We were able to have an impromptu birthday party for Gaby with all of her cousins on Sunday. My heart is so full. Some how TWO YEARS have gone by in the blink of an eye and my angel is turning 2. It has been the best two years of my life!
Gaby has that, “Please stop taking pictures” look on her face while the rest of the crew smiles! 🙂
All of this to say, before this stupid hurricane decided to make an appearance in Miami, I had been planning to post this super easy and delicious Veggie Bowl. In the midst of a chaotic few days it got postponed for a while. Without further ado… Do yourself a favor and go make this! If you want to add a little meat to it, by all means, go right ahead! The sky is the limit! 🙂
Eat Your Veggies Buddha Bowl!
A super quick and easy meal for any night of the week!
- 1 large sweet potato or 2 small ones, cut into wedges
- 1 purple onion, cut into wedges
- 1 large red beet, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 – 3 big handfuls of fresh green beans, washed and dried (ends trimmed if needed)
- 2 – 3 big handfuls of fresh spinach, washed and dried
- 2 – 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1 – 2 tbsp maple syrup
- salt and pepper
- hot water for thinning the sauce out
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. On a large sheet pan add the sweet potatoes, purple onion and beets. Drizzle olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 15 – 20 minutes.
- While the veggies roast, add the Tahini, maple syrup, salt and pepper to a small bowl. Thin out the Tahini with a little hot water until it’s the consistency you like. I add the water by tablespoons. 2 – 3 tbsp is usually enough hot water. Whisk it in and set aside.
- When the potatoes are soft add the green beans and tomatoes. Drizzle a little more olive oil, salt and pepper on them. Continue roasting for another 10 minutes.
- Add a layer of spinach to your bowls (drizzle with olive oil if desired). Next, add the veggies on top so they wilt the spinach just enough! Drizzle some of the Maple-Tahini Sauce on top of the veggies. Now, EAT!!!