I am of the belief that ALL Mondays should start off with PANCAKES and lotsssss of COFFEE! Yes?! Gaby is a lover of all things carbs….potatoes, rice, pasta, pancakes and cookies are all right up her alley! And she’ll eat her little heart out if you give her any of the above. To make my life a little easier in the mornings I like to have some pre-made/home-made breakfast stuff ready to go in the fridge. For me, pancakes are perfect and so easy to reheat for my girl. Heat up a skillet on medium heat with a little pat of butter…dice up a pancake… throw it in that warm melted butter and let it crisp back up! Seriously, it takes like 3 minutes! Pour a little syrup (REAL pure maple syrup, not the Aunt Jemima stuff that’s full of high fructose corn syrup) on top and she’s a happy happy happy girl! And YOU can be happy knowing you didn’t use a microwave to “cook” your baby’s food and kill it of all its nutrients.
I know, you’re probably thinking, “HOW can a pancake be HEALTHY?!” Well, I look at it like this: I buy all organic ingredients. I’m not making the box garbage that has additives, preservatives and hidden stuff you have no idea what it really is. I know exactly what’s going into my recipe! Yes, it might take a few extra minutes to make homemade food, but for me it’s totally worth the time and effort. There’s nothing in my recipe that you can’t pronounce!
Years ago I was watching Oprah one day. She had some man (I don’t remember who he was?) talking about food on her show. He said if you see ingredients listed on any food that you can’t pronounce or have no idea what it is – don’t eat it! I don’t know why, but this has always stuck with me. We don’t buy a whole lot of processed food, but when I do, I always make sure I can pronounce the ingredients! Something to think about… KNOW WHAT YOU’RE EATING!
Spice up your pancake game with some PEACHES!!!
- 1 cup plain almond milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 organic banana, mashed
- 1 cup organic all purpose flour or GF all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- pinch or two of kosher salt
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 – 1 cup diced peaches
- butter (vegan or non-vegan) for greasing the pan
Caramelized Peach Maple Syrup:
- 1 tbsp butter (vegan or non-vegan)
- 1/2 cup diced peaches
- 1 tbsp organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- pinch of kosher salt
- In a small bowl mix together the almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the banana and add all of the dry ingredients.
- Heat up your skillet on medium-low heat. (I normally use my cast iron for pancakes. I love how it gives them a nice crust!) I preheat my oven to about 225 degrees so I can keep my finished pancakes warm as I continue making the rest.
- Whisk in the almond milk mixture. If the batter looks too thick add a little more milk. Stir in the peaches.
- Grease the skillet and start making your pancakes.
- While the pancakes cook I made my syrup. In a small saute pan over medium heat add the butter to the pan. Next, add the peaches and sugar. The sugar will help caramelize the peaches. Let them be for about 2 – 3 minutes. Then add the syrup, lemon juice and pinch of salt. Bring the syrup to a slight bubble so that it thickens just a tad. Reduce the heat to low while you finish making the pancakes.
- Stack a few pancakes on a plate, drizzle some of that delicious syrup on top with a little pat of butter and eat your heart out!!!