If you don’t love Middle Eastern food I’m not real sure we can be friends. I kid! Haha! …Kind of. Seriously though, don’t you just love it?! Ahhhh!! I’m pretty sure I could eat it every-single-day. Hummus…Baba Ghanoush…Tabouli…and LOTS of pita bread! Throw in some falafels and I’m one happy girl! I made falafels a few months back that were scrumptious and totally delish. I decided to kick up my falafel dish and make a burger out of it in hopes my husband would like it more. Burgers are kind of a guy food, don’t you think? When I make these vegan dishes I like to make them with the thought of, “Will he notice there’s no meat?! Maybe if it tastes SO good he won’t miss the beef?!” It works every now and then! 😉
Without further ado… here’s my attempt at making a manly vegan Falafel Burger! I hope you love these as much as we did. 😉
A perfect burger minus the meat!
Ingredients for the Falafel Burgers:
- 2 – 15 oz cans of garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup diced purple onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour or oat flour
Maple-Dijon Tahini Dressing:
- 3 heaping tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp garlic
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- hot water to thin out to desired consistency
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a sheet pan with a wire rack.
- In a medium size saute pan on medium-high heat add a little olive oil to the pan and let it get hot. Once hot, add the onion and garlic and saute until translucent, about 5 – 7 minutes.
- In your blender, ninja or food processor add: garbanzo beans, onion, garlic, herbs, spices, salt, pepper, lemon juice, baking soda, and olive oil. Blend for about 20 seconds until everything comes together.
- Put the garbanzo bean mixture in a large bowl and stir in the flour. If you have time, refrigerate this mixture for about 15 – 20 minutes. The patties form a lot easier when it’s cold.
- I used a 1/2 cup measuring cup lined with plastic wrap to make my patties. Lay each patty out on a baking sheet. Once the patties are made, flatten them out just a tad.
- Heat up a large skillet on medium heat. Add just enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Pan sear each patty until golden brown. Place the patties on a wire rack on top of a sheet pan and bake in the oven for 10 – 15 minutes. I did this just to ensure that my patties were completely hot throughout since I refrigerated the mixture.
- While the patties are in the oven, make the dressing. Add everything into a small bowl and slowly whisk in the hot water until your desired consistency.
- Build your burgers and add your favorite toppings!