OMG – this recipe is HEAVEN in my mouth. A friendly reminder: I am from the south and to say that I love cornbread would be a huge understatement. I will tell you, my mom makes THE BEST cornbread you’ll ever eat. Hands down. THE BEST. Sadly, I’ve yet to perfect her cornbread. My problem with cornbread is this: I refuse to make a big pone of cornbread (unless I’m making it for a large group of people, which normally gets turned into dressing) because I would literally sit and eat the whole thing with lots of butter smeared on every single piece (or bite) I eat. What man wants a wife that sits around eating cornbread and butter all day long? That’s not an attractive quality, K?! BUT…. What is an attractive quality is turning a big ‘ole pone of cornbread into PANCAKES!!! (Said with a very southern accent.) Not just any pancakes, but healthy – vegan – gluten free – and YES, to answer the question you’re thinking, “THEY TASTE AMAZING”… After making these beauties, I’ve decided I’m starting a new Thanksgiving tradition this year. A THANKSGIVING BRUNCH! And these Cornbread Pancakes will be the star of the show. I’m thinking pancakes, collard greens and mimosas! Can you tell I’m southern?! Now, if you’ve got 20 minutes, you’ve got time to make these pancakes! BOOMCHAKALAKA!!! GO!!! Make you some!!!
PS… If you’re feeding some super hungry people, I would double the recipe. My little girl ate 3 of these pancakes in one sitting…. and I might have eaten the other 3. “Might have”… 🙂 I’m going to workout now!
Cornbread Pancakes & a Cranberry Cinnamon Compote
Heavenly Cornbread Pancakes. Need I say more?!
Cornbread Pancake Ingredients:
- 1 cup milk (non-dairy or dairy – I use almond milk)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup oat flour or all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp organic cane sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder (aluminum free)
- pinch of kosher salt
- 2 tbsp butter (vegan or non-vegan), melted plus more for greasing the pan/skillet
Cranberry Cinnamon Compote:
- 1 – 8oz bag frozen or fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 orange juice or water
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg, optional
- Measure out the milk in a measuring cup and add the apple cider vinegar. Stir and set aside for a few minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl add all of the dry ingredients and whisk together.
- Add the melted butter to the dry ingredients and add the milk a little bit at a time. I didn’t need all of the milk. Stir until just combined. Don’t over mix. Your batter will be semi-thick. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat up your griddle or skillet for the pancakes and make the compote.
- In a small saucepan on medium heat, add the cranberries and let them get soft. Transfer the cranberries to a blender/food processor and blend until smooth. Return the cranberries back to the saucepan, reduce the heat to low and add the orange juice, maple syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg. Let it hangout while you make the pancakes.
- Add a little butter to the griddle/skillet. You don’t want the skillet to be super hot. If the butter looks like it’s burning, it’s too hot. I used a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop the batter onto the pan. When you see bubbles appear on the top of each pancake, flip it over. Repeat until all of the batter is gone. I was able to make 6 pancakes (about 4 inches in diameter).
- Keep the pancakes warm in a 200 degree oven until ready to serve. Top each pancake with the Cranberry Cinnamon Compote and give a little drizzle of syrup on each one! SO GOOD!!!