Who doesn’t just LOVE a summertime salad?! Over the last few months, I’ve become a lover of all things BEETS. All it took was one salad out at one of our favorite restaurants and I was hooked! As much as I love beets, quinoa has become another ‘carb’ I’ve started eating on a regular basis. My husband and I decided that we are going to try to cut out meat a few times a week…mainly as a test to see how our bodies feel. So, I started looking up different foods that have a good amount of protein and quinoa made the cut. We’re still keeping fish in our diet. Wild Salmon is one of our favorite weekly meals. We’re not big bean eaters since we eat Paleo 95% of the time, so I really didn’t want to go that route. Quinoa isn’t considered Paleo, but it is gluten free and that makes me happy! I decided to throw it into this salad in hopes that it would help keep us full longer. Low and behold – it did! My hubby wasn’t too big on quinoa, but after this salad, he’s become a fan!
This salad is perfect for a light lunch or dinner. It would be perfect with any type of protein. I put some grilled chicken on top of it, although it isn’t pictured. We don’t always eat cheese, but every now and then I have to have a little feta on my salad! 🙂 It adds a little creamy and saltiness that is just perfect. Go make this salad!! Your belly will love you!!! 🙂
Yields: 2-4 Servings
- 1/2 cup organic quinoa, cooked and cooled
- 1 organic beet, peeled and shredded (with a box grater)
- 2 organic carrots, peeled and shredded
- 2 cups packed organic spinach, roughly chopped
- handful of cilantro, roughly chopped
- garnish with organic feta cheese, optional
- top with your favorite protein if desired… we ate this with grilled chicken!
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice – 1 lime should be enough if it’s juicy
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2-3 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of cayenne, optional
- If you want a protein with this salad, start cooking that first.
- Throw all of the salad ingredients together into a bowl and toss together.
- Pour the dressing on top of the salad mixture. Toss again. Top with a protein. EAT!!! It’s that easy!!!