S-T-R-E-S-S….. A six letter word that makes me do several things. 1.) Emotionally eat. 2.) Over exercise (because I emotionally eat). 3.) WORRY WORRY WORRY. *BIG sigh* When I’m stressed I have absolutely no desire to be creative in any aspect of life, especially cooking…I over analyze everything to the point of making myself nuts. I finally reached my break of insanity yesterday mainly because I’m sick and tired of eating the same things over and over and over. So, I made myself get in the kitchen yesterday and I’ve created a new salad recipe that is super healthy, full flavorful (because who wants to eat something with NO flavor?), and it actually keeps you full for a long time! Continue reading
I’ve said it many times before… “I’ve never met a potato that I didn’t like!” I actually make this dish two to three times a week. Especially when I’m not in a very ‘creative’ mood…it’s quick, easy, and both my husband and daughter LOVE it. Sometimes we have it for dinner… sometimes I make it for a quick and easy lunch that keeps me full the whole afternoon. I love a traditional southern potato salad smothered in creamy mayo, but let’s be honest… it’s just not the best thing to eat if you’re watching the scale and trying to maintain that bikini body all year long. SO…. for me, this is the next best thing! Continue reading
Are you in need of a super easy and totally beautiful side dish OR main entree?! These babies are a crowd pleaser… at least in my house!
It’s like a thousand degrees here in Miami right now which means heavy, fattening meals that take forever to cook are not going to happen in this household right now. I NEED quick, easy, and super light…because let’s face it – it’s always summertime here AND vacation is right around the corner. SO! If you’re in need for a quick and easy summertime salad – I’ve got you covered! Continue reading
Happy Monday!!! 🙂 I hope you all had a wonderful, relaxing weekend. I have a super delicious and extremely healthy SALAD for you to start your week off with!!! I’ve had this salad on repeat in my house for the last 2 weeks. I can’t stop eating it… I love it so much!!! Continue reading
I have FINALLY jumped on the “Cauli-Rice” bandwagon and I’m not sad about it. I wasn’t too sure how I was going to like this…as I’m not a big fan of cauliflower at all unless it’s smashed like a potato and smothered in butter and cream. Oh, but this!!! This little side dish is SO much healthier and it’s filled with lots of colorful veggies . Y’all know I like to eat the rainbow. There’s something about the sesame oil that gives it that fried rice taste that I LOVE. AND to make things even better, you can buy the cauliflower already ‘riced’ (freezer section) so now you don’t have to worry about getting cauliflower all over your kitchen when you rice it yourself! I’ll definitely be making this on a regular basis and I hope you do too! 🙂 Continue reading
Since I got my spiralizer for Christmas I’ve become quite the Zoodle’er! (I’m not sure that’s a real word, but I’m going to say it anyway!) I was home visiting my family with baby girl for a bit last month and my mom and I made zoodles a whole LOT! I’m really sad that I’m just now finding out about this spiralizer thing… You can literally turn any kind of vegetable into a NOODLE! I’m amazed and absolutely LOVE knowing that this little contraption can keep me entertained with ideas of new healthy recipes. Please be aware – there will be a lot of Zoodle recipes coming your way! I really hope you’ll love them as much as we do.
The beautiful thing about zoodles is that you can flavor them however you like best! So far, I’ve made Thai Zoodles, Greek Zoodles (I haven’t posted this recipe yet), and now Garlic and Herb Zoodles! These are a perfect side dish for just about anything. I grilled some chicken, lightly seasoned and put it on top of my zoodles with a side of broccoli. It was a perfect, quick, and super easy week night meal. If you don’t have a spiralizer, GO GET ONE!! You can find a decent one for $20-$30. I promise, you’ll love it!!!
Yields: 3-4 servings
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp organic butter
- LOTS of GARLIC! I used a good 2 tbsp. Use however much or little you prefer!
- 1 large organic zucchini, spiralized
- 1 large organic yellow squash, spiralized
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1-2 organic carrots, sliced thin (matchsticks)
- 1 cup organic cherry tomatoes
- 2 big handfuls of organic spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chiffonade
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, rough chop
- 1 palm full of herbs de provence
- salt and pepper to taste
- Before you get started make sure all of your vegetables are sliced, diced, and ready to go! Once the onions have caramelized this side dish doesn’t take long to cook at all. I don’t like mushy veggies, so I made sure my protein was just about ready before starting it.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat up the olive oil and butter on medium-high heat. Add the onion and caramelize for 10-15 minutes. After about 10 minutes, I added the garlic. Let the garlic cook until it’s translucent. Your kitchen will smell AMAZING!!!
- Next – add the carrots and let them cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the squash and zucchini and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes.
- Now – add all the herbs, tomatoes, and spinach. I used tongs to make sure all the veggies were mixed well.
- Season with salt and pepper and TASTE it! Adjust the seasoning to your liking and serve it up! It’s the perfect accompaniment to any piece of chicken, fish, or steak! If you have leftovers, check out my Zoodle Frittata recipe!