If you don’t love chocolate and strawberries, I’m not sure if we can be friends. Ha! Juuuuuust kidding!!! But seriously. WHO doesn’t like this combo?! I love chocolate period. Add a little berry and a nice red wine…and I’m in Heaven!
These cupcakes couldn’t be easier to make either! Please note – I did not use food coloring to make this beautiful pink icing. Fresh strawberries to the rescue! I love using fruits and veggies to color food. You know exactly what you’re eating and have nothing to worry about! And you can eat these guilt free, baby! Everything in moderation, right?! If for some reason all of your cupcakes do NOT get eaten in one sitting, refrigerate these little beauties. It’ll keep them fresh longer! ENJOY!! 🙂
Yields: 15 cupcakes
- 1 cup organic cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 organic coconut oil, melted
- 2/3 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup apple sauce (homemade or store bought)
- 2 tbsp organic cane sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temp, whisked
- 1 tbsp vanilla or almond flavoring
Strawberry Buttercream Icing Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups fresh organic strawberries, diced
- 2 tbsp organic cane sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp milk (if you need to thin your icing out)
- 1 tsp vanilla or almond flavoring, optional
- Start with the strawberries. They’re going to need time to chill. Take the stems off and dice up the strawberries. Put them in a food processor and puree. Once pureed, put them in a small pot on the stove, bring to a low boil, and let the berries reduce by about half. The berries should get thick and look like jam. Put them in a bowl and let them hangout in the refrigerator for a while. They need to be cold or at least room temp for the icing.
- Now, let’s go back to the cupcakes! Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Put all of the dry ingredients together in one bowl, whisk together.
- Put all of the wet ingredients together in one bowl, whisk together.
- Gradually add the dry to the wet, stirring with a spatula or using a standing or handheld mixer. (I used a spatula for convenience sake! Worked just fine!)
- Line your cupcake tin with cupcake liners or spray the tin really well. Fill each cup about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean!
- For the icing: Get out your standing or handheld mixer! Using the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and strawberry jam, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar and mix on low speed until it’s well incorporated. Add the vanilla. Cream together a few more seconds. If your icing is too thick, add a tablespoon of milk.
- I like to use a piping bag to make the cupcakes look pretty… Feel free to ice the cupcakes however you please!
- Share with friends or family!